Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In the Land of Gooey Cheese

Yey! Right now I sit at MELT!, a local cafe and wine bar. The owner Gaynor and I are the only ones in here at the moment, and I do feel a bit guilty about typing away at this silly keyboard instead dedicating my conversation entirely to her. I do so much better when over stimulated, though. To concentrate on anything, I need to have street noise, neighboring conversation, and background music to all ignore in order to get the voices in my head to an low enough attention-sucking level to be acceptable. However, if I have all of that going on and am trying to hold a verbal in-person conversation, internet chat, and talk on the phone all while writing an email, I might actually be in my element. The last time I tried that, there was also professional tennis on the television as well.

When I sit at home and have nothing to listen to but the voices coming in my window and the voices in my head which somehow get their volume turned up by the mere fact I am in my (highly understated when I call it) humble abode, I can't get anything done. Of course, also it doesn't help that I feel like everything I type on this computer gets immediately publicized. I mean really. It's one thing to feel like people watch me while I type; it's entirely something different to feel like my entire portfolio of copyrighted material just lies around with the whole public able to read it. With all the verbal manure that the voices in my head spew at me, it's a wonder I can function at all.

Sigh... if I were to hazard a guess at which of my current works in progress I might resume laboring with first, I would say it would be the notes for my fourth volume of memoirs. Though, I know I really need to finally finish one of my works of fiction, so I can sell it. Writing is my only viable future livelihood still, unless Mr. 'Hopper has his way placing singing in my life. How is that any more practical than a writing career? As I already said, I might as well just move to LA and announce I want to be an actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment