Sunday, September 27, 2009

Music, Music, Music

So, Grasshopper (better known as Mr. 'Hopper) and I have split ways. The details are far from being worth sharing, but it suffices to say-- making music is like making love, so both had to end. Maybe he will stop sending me emails I cannot make sense out of one of these days.  Not that I could ever complain about still hearing from him, or something like that.  There have been enough childish adult males in my past who never speak to me anymore.

Now, what is in the city water lately? Every time I drink the stuff, I start waking up and falling asleep all at the same time. Yeah, City of San Francisco, you really need to fix that!

Sigh... Ruce is playing the feature slot on Tuesday, and I promised to bring my friend (and astrological expert) Vera to see all the hot musician types that show up out there. So, yes, I will again be attending the open mic that Grasshopper hosts this coming week; though, I promised myself I would not sing.  Maybe I might read something.  I have been writing again as of late.

The last two nights of music I have caught have been fantastic, in a rock'n'roll sort of way. Let's see, Friday night I was able to see Superbad at Maggie McGarry's up here in North Beach. They were a bit more like pop rock than actual rock, I know, but they were a damn good show. 

Last night I had the privilege of seeing the Butlers play again.  Now that was about as brilliant a rock band I have ever had the joy of experiencing live.  There is something about the combination of their music with their energy that just makes me dance.  I even took BART all of the way out to Berkeley and back again in order to see them.  Mmmmm.... tasty rock music.  Why must you feed me so deliciously?

I know I had promised to see Forget About Boston last night too, but I did not have enough time to go the extra few blocks to see them.  If only BART could run all hours... then I could dance all night anywhere in the East Bay that it reaches.  Maybe next time I'll be able to sort out a ride home.

Speaking of Vera (which actually occurred a few paragraphs back), she really is a great friend.  When SynSyn, Annie, and (if all goes well even) Amalia come out to see me here in February, I hope we all get to spend time together.  We would all benefit from having a bit more of sagacious Vera in our lives.  We had some amazing girl talk the other night after I spent most of the wee hours of the morning sitting in Sam's eating chicken nuggets and fries and studying academic abstracts on global climate change.  Now, if I could just find a Benicio Del Toro for her.  Vera could definitely benefit from some Mr. Del Toro in her life.

Global climate change.  Yes, global climate change.  I don't plan on dying just because the weather changes.  Joy of joys, though, the San Francisco Public Library system allows access to academic journals on just about any topic you can name.  "Global Warming" still pops up with more hits than "Global Climate Change" in the database, but the papers and articles I can access make amazing brain fodder on sleepless nights.  Who knows, maybe I will even reach some sort of brilliant conclusion about it all someday.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment