Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Some Unexpected Random Thoughts...

Since the word processor (or lack thereof) on this machine prevents me from writing the short story I wanted to spin out from prompts for you all, here are some other things on my mind today.

Humanity can endure so much, but what makes us survive? What wakes us up after each moment exhaustion pushed us past the very brink of sleep to drown us in its inky depths to live another day with nothing but suffering or, depending on the situation, nothing at all but a fight? What makes us "Hold on!"? What makes us defend our natural and human need to stay alive? There were times even I wished I could have just given in and died to end it. But I cannot be anything but myself, and here I am still alive and still not suicidal. What is it that keeps us all so alive?

New Orleans, you know I would have been there by now if I could just finally have my human rights. Thank you for building those levees to hold back our increasing Water Cycle. Thank you for listening to me. Thank you for being prepared by keeping your beautiful people (and city) safe. May your Spanish moss and wrought iron never need to be uprooted.

Freedom. Elusive freedom. Where do you hide from me? Or are you still on your journey looking for me, too, behind every distant tree branch that you just cannot yet reach? I know you did not scurry under a rock to keep company with my fake medical staff in this candy-coated (to aid with swallowing) hell. You know you are too worthwhile for that. Darling freedom, do you speak semaphore? Can I guide you here from a passing ship by waving flags and screaming your name? Where are you, my long lost friend. I wait for you weeping with abused patience and empty hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment